Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Patent Scared


I used to be involved in a few business ventures.  Even though most of my experiences were positive, I have seen first hand the personal toll that takes place when complications arise, partnerships sour, and litigation is threatened.  So when I hear of people loosing their businesses in patent lawsuits, I feel sickened, particularly when the patents in question are for ideas that should not be patentable.  The US government shouldn’t be handing out patents for software ideas as general as “backing up files online,” and “sharing pictures on the internet” (see When Patents Attack!).  I enjoy discussing with my friends ideas for new iPhone apps or social media ventures, but I am honestly scared to try an entrepreneurial venture that would make our ideas a reality for fear of litigation.  Aren’t my feelings counter to the type of innovation patent law is trying to protect?  We need to reform the system and get rid of software patents that are too general.







No comments:

Post a Comment