Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I can’t talk; I’m at my computer


The percentage of women in software engineering jobs and related degrees has never been very high, and in recent years, it’s been dropping even more (NY Times).  I asked my wife why she thinks computer science is uninteresting to her and other women.  She said, “It’s too anti-social.”  She pictured a guy in a lone cubicle or back room with only his computer for company for hours on end.  I explained to her that nothing could be further from the truth: Software engineers have to interact with customers, team members and managers on a regular basis in order to be successful with their jobs.  Some of my mentors in the industry tell me that good communication and social skills are crucial to a successful career.  The misconception by men and women alike that software engineering is a solo activity is one of many that keep women away from the field.  We need to better represent the reality of the workplace if we are going to be successful in attracting more women to computer science. 

1 comment:

  1. Good point. When I chose my major, I wasn't considering whether software engineering was social or not, I just knew that I enjoyed working with computers. I think, however, that I probably also believed that it was a more anti-social field than most. The question is... how do we paint a knew image for an entire industry?

    ReplyDelete